My very first bake for 2015. I have wanted to bake this for quite sometimes back as my bottle of poppy seeds has been sitting in the cupboard till I did my packing yesterday. So I have decided to use it to bake a simple lemon butter cake. I love the taste of poppy seeds and the lemony taste in it.
Recipe Source: Sonia / li-shuan
2 lemons, finely grate the rind
350g self-raising flour (sifted)
1 lemon, finely grate the rind
1. Beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy.
2. In another bowl slightly beat the eggs, the slowly pour in a little at a time to the butter. (Make sure the egg well co-operate into the butter the before adding further). Then add in lemon rind and vanilla essence mixing well.
3. Fold in the flour and milk +yogurt, combine well.
4. Pour the mixture into a tin lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C (fan force 160C) for 40mins.
6. Mix sugar and lemon juice and cook over low heat till sugar dissolved, add in lemon rind, set aside.
7. When cake is cook, remove cake from the oven and prick all over with a skewer. (Make sure you prick to the bottom of the cake)
8. Pour over the lemon glaze over the hot cake.
9. Serve immediately or leave it overnight. The cake becomes moist and infused with lemony flavor.