Chinese Steam Fish
- 1 medium whole fish, ( I ask the fishmonger to clean it for me)
- 6 slice of ginger, thinly julienned
- 1 chilli sliced (adjust to your liking)
- 2 medium tomato, cut into slices
- 80g salted vegetables, sliced thinly
- 2 salted plums
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- dash of pepper
- 3 stalks spring onion, thinly julienne to garnish
- 1 chilli sliced, thinly julienne to garnish
- 1 tbsp water
1. Make two diagonal cuts along the body of the fish (the fleshy part) on both sides. Place fish on the
2. Drizzle light soy sauce and oyster sauce over the fish. Keep in fridge (covered) for at least 30 mins.
3. When you are ready to steam the fish, add water and scatter the rest of the ingredients ( salted
plums, salted vegetables, tomatoes and ginger strips) over the fish around the plate.
4. Place your steamer rack inside your wok. Add enough water to come to the base of the steamer,
bring it to a boil.
5. Once the water has come to a boil it’s time to steam your fish. Place your dish on the steamer rack
and cover and steam for 12 mins.
6. Do not over-steam as the meat will become tough.
7. Garnish with spring onions strips and chilli strips.