This baked Ji Dan Gao is very popular and I liked this light and fluffy texture and I have actually baked two different variants, one with Green Tea and the other with Chocolate. Both taste nice to me so kind of difficult for me to decide which is nicer but my nieces prefered the one with Green Tea flavour.
Recipe Source: Esther @ Copycat
A) 3 eggs white
65g icing sugar
B) 3 egg yolk
1 whole egg
50g corn oil
65g self raising flour, sifted
C) 8g cocoa powder + 2 tbsp hot water
- Whisk eggs yolk and whole egg, flour till well combined, set aside.
- In another bowl, use mixer to beat the eggs white and gradually add in sugar. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Fold in 1/3 of eggs white into egg yolk batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Divide cake batter into 2 portion (2/3 for plain cake batter, 1/3 for chocolate cake batter). Add (C) into 1/3 cake batter, fold lightly to mix.
- Scoop one plain batter into middle of cake pan, then add a scoop of chocolate batter on top of plain batter. Continue to alternate between plain and chocolate layer until finished.
- Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles.
- Preheat oven at 170c and bake for 35 minutes.
- Invert to cool down completely before unmoulding.