Ginkgo Barley with Dried Beancurd Skin Dessert 白果薏米腐竹糖水
(Serves 6 to 8)
- 50g holland barley (洋薏米), rinsed a few times
- 1800ml water
- 5 pandan leaves, tied to a knot
- 1 Pkt soft beancurd skin sheets (腐竹)
- 1 can (boiled and shelled) ginkgo nuts (白果)
- 2 tbsp sago
- 1 beaten egg
- 130g rock sugar (冰糖) (adjust to taste)
1. Soak bean curd sheets in a large bowl of water till soft, around 5 minutes.
2. In a pot, add water, barley & pandan leaves. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20-30 minutes till barley is soft. Discard Pandan leave.
3. Add gingko nuts, sago and soaked softened beancurd sheets, and continue simmering for another 10 minutes, or until the beancurd skin reached the consistency you like (big pieces or congee-like fine consistency; I liked congee-like.).
4. Add the beaten egg.
5. Add rock sugar to taste, turn off the flame when the sugar is fully dissolved. Serve warm or chilled.