Ingredients for the Sambal Long Beans
Sambal Long Beans
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp sambal belachan (either home made or store bought)
- 2 tbsp water
- 200g long bean, ends trimmed and cut to 5 cm (2 inch) length
- salt to taste (if needed)
(A) Dried Shrimps Paste
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps (hei bi), soaked in water till softened
- 1 tbsp. small ikan bilis
- 5 shallots, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
1. Use a blender to grind the mixture A for a few seconds.
2. In a wok, heat the oil. Then add the grind mixture and fry till you can smell the aroma.
3. Add the belachand and mix it well with the dried shrimps paste.
4 Add long beans and stir fry for a few mins.
5. Add water and mix well, until the water has evaporated and the long beans are well coated
with the sambal mixture.
6. Season with salt.
- 5 finger length chilli, deseeded
- 3 chilli padi aka bird eye chili
- 30g belachan, toasted in a dry pan
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
1. In a blender, grind chillis and belachan.
2. Transfer blended paste to a small bowl.
3. Add sugar, lime juice and salt to taste.
4. Stir to mix well.