Laksa is originally a Perankan dish consisting of noodles, fish cake, prawns, cockles and chopped bean sprouts served in a spicy coconut-based soup. It is often servied with a spoonful of sambal chilli , garnished with laksa leaves.
Ingredients for Rempah
2 thumb size pieces of fresh turmeric/ kunyit, peeled
10 slices of galangal
25 pieces dried red chilies, soaked in water to soften
2 tbsp of belachan
6 stalks of lemongrass/ serai, chopped
1 tbsp of ground coriander
*60 gm of dried prawn, soaked in water for 30 minutes and then ground fine.
Method for cooking Rempah
1. Grind all the ingredients for the Rempah first.
2. Heat up wok with abt 250ml of oil and fry the ground Rempah for abt 1/2 hr in low fire.
3. Add the groun-dried prawn and keep frying.
1.5kg to 2kg fresh grated coconut
3 litres of water
First squeeze without water for thick coconut milk, then second squeeze with water.
2 pcs of fish cake sliced
1 carrot chopped slant
few stalks of long bean
1/2 cup Laksa paste
10 ml cooking oil
2 chopped garlic
Salt to taste
250 ml chicken stock
1) Heat the claypot and put the cooking oil
2) Add chopped garlic and fry till the garlic is fragrant
3) Add the Rempah paste.
4) Fry the content till fragrant and slowly add the chicken stock
5) After cooking for 5 to 7 minutes, add the ingredients and coconut milk.
6) Salt to taste