油条 is one of the most popular breakfasts amongst Chinese communities in Asia. It is a breadsticks fried in pairs. Can eat it as it is or cut into small chunks. Is one of the most versatile and widely-consumed food. Is usually served with hot soya milk, porridge, Chinese spare rib soup and rojak.
The process of making the Chinese Bread Stick
Chinese Bread Stick ( 油条 )
125g Bread Flour
125g Plain Flour
8g Vegetable Oil
3.5g Baking Powder
3g Baking Soda
1) Mix the flour and baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
2) Add the salt, oil and milk. Mix well and make a dough.
3) Knead the dough with hand for 3 minutes.
4) Cover and let the dough rest for an hour.
5) After an hour, knead the dough for about 10 minutes more.
6) Put the dough in a plastic bag and seal it and keep in fridge overnight.
7) The next day, take the dough out and put it on a floured surface.
Knead till it is soft enough.
8) Roll the dough until approx. 1/2cm thick and square in shape, cut evenly into 4 pieces, then cut
each piece into 8 strips.
9) Take one strip and place on floured board and another strip on top, press lightly and then use a
chop stik lengthwise along the centre.
10) Deep fried until golden brown.