I love having Egg Tarts but seldom bake them myself. My kneading is not so good but overall the texture and fillings are very satisfying. This is a last minute bake as I am craving for it. One of my favourite Dim Sum dishes that I will always order. The pictures are not well taken and the tarts are not pretty but the taste is good.
Recipe source : christinesrecipes
Ingredients for crust:
- 200g plain flour
- 25g cake flour
- 125g butter
- 55g icing sugar
- 1 egg, whisked
- a dash of vanilla extract
Methods for making crust:
- Cream butter and sugar using medium speed till smooth, light and fluffy.
- Add in whisked egg slowly over low speed. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift in flour and combine well. Knead into dough.
- Roll the dough to 1/2cm thickness. Cut dough with a cookie cutter. Line dough in the middle of tart tins.Lightly press the dought with your thumbs. Trim away any excess dough.
Ingredients for Csutard:
- 2 eggs
- 70g caster sugar
- 150g hot water
- 75g evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Method making custard:
- Add sugar into hot water, mix until completely dissolved.
- Whisk egg with evaporated milk. Pour in sugar water. Mix well.
- Sift egg mixture to get rid of any foam into a tea pot. Carefully pour egg mixture into each tart shell.
Method baking tarts:
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Bake tarts for 10 to 15 mins till the edges are lightly brown.
- Lower the heat to 180C. Keep an eye on them. Once you see the custard being puffed up a bit, pull the oven door open about 2 to 3 inches. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the custard is cooked through. Just insert a toothpick into the custard. If it stands on its own, it’s done.
This post is linked to the Best Recipes for Everyone August 2015 Event (Theme: Dim Sum) organised by Fion （XuanHom's Mum Kitchen Diary) and
hosted by May (厨苑食谱 @ mayck-law.blogspot.com）.