Bak Kut Teh is a very famous Chinese Malaysia dish which is an extremely popular breakfast dish. This dish is usually eaten with rice and often served with "You Tiao" ( Chinese Bread Stick) for dipping into the soup. Bak Kut Teh is actually pork ribs cooked in a rich, savourly fragrant herbal broth. You can add wolberries (Goji Berries) to enhance the herbal flavour and some white pepper seed for more peppery taste.
The ingredients for the Herbal Stock - ( Codonopsis Pilosula Root , Chinsed Angelica Lovage Root, Rehmannia Glutinosa, Licorice Root, Solomon's Seal Root, Wolfberries)
Blanching of the pork ribs before cooking the herbal broth.
Condiments for the Ba Kut Teh - You Tiao ( Chinese Bread Stick, Parsley and Chilli Padi with Dark Soya Sauce)
Bak Kut Teh (肉骨茶) - Darker Broth Version
1 kg Pork Ribs
1 bowl Garlic Heads
2 tsp of Salt
2 tbsp of Light Soy Sauce
1 tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce
3 litres of Water
20g Wolfberries ( Goji Berries)
Youtiao ( Chinese Bread Stick)
Chilli Padi with Soy Dipping Sauce
Herb Spice Bag
20g Codonopsis Pilosula Root (Dang Shen)
20g dried Chinses Angelica (Dang Gui)
10g Lovage Rood (Chuan Xiong)
20g Rehmannia Glutinosa ( Shu Di)
6 Slices of Licorice Root ( Gan Cao)
20g Solmon's Seal Root ( Yu Zhu)
20g White Pepper Seeds
- Put the herb spice in a spice bag and tied.
- Blanch the pork ribs in a pot of hot water and once the surface turns whitish, remove and rinse.
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot. Add in the herb spice bag, wolfberries and garlic. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the pork ribs.
- Turn to low heat and simmer for 45 mins.
- Add the seasoning ( salt, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce), adjust according to your taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve with rice and chilli padi soy dipping sauce.