I made a large portion for a pot-luck dinner tonight. I braised the pork for a bit longer so that the meat would be more tender.
Ingredients for the braised pork belly.
Pot of braised pork belly is done.
Kong Bak Pau 扣肉包 (Braised Pork Belly with Yam)
- 1 kg of pork belly ( cut into 2 pieces)
- 1 medium size Yam
- lettuce leaves
- parsley, spring onion
- steamed Chinese buns
- 2 bulks of garlic and 2 large onion
- 5 tablespoons dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar, white pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chinese cooking wine
- sesame oil
- 3 to 4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 to 8 pieces of star anise
1. Bring water to boil in wok or pot and blanch the pork belly for a few seconds.
2.Cut the pork belly into 1 to 1.5cm-width slices.
3. Marinate the pork belly with the marinate sauce for about 1 hour.
4. In a wok, saute the garlic and onions till fragrant. Add the marinate pork belly and yam, braised
for an hour.
5. Steam Chinese buns over high heat for about 10 minutes, or till soft.
6. Wedge slices of braised pork, lettuce leaves, spring onion & parsley.
7. If you like, you can drizzle a bit of gravy over the meat.