When purchasing mussels be sure they smell like the ocean, not fishy. Don't buy any whose shells are cracked or open. Try to cook the mussels immediately (unwrap them as soon as you get home), but if you have to wait, place them in a bowl and cover them with a damp towel so they can breathe.
Mussels in White Wine Sauce
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed clean under running water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- sprig of spring onion or parsley
1. Put the mussels in a bowl of salted water for 10-15 minutes. Throw out any that are wide open.
Scrub and debeard the mussels
2. Heat the butter over medium-high heat in a large, wide-bottomed pot with a lid. Add the minced
garlic and saute.
3. Add the white wine and bring it to a boil.
4. Slowly add the mussels.
5. Cover the pot and let the mussels steam for 3-8 minutes. After three minutes, check the mussels;
many should be open.
6.As soon as most of the mussels are open, turn off the heat and toss in the spring onion.