Orange Ogura Cake (相思蛋糕)
70g Orange juice
40g Vegetable oil
1/4 tsp Salt
55g Hong Kong Flour/Plain flour or Cake flour
zest from 2 oranges
4 Egg yolks + 1 whole egg (60g each)
150g Egg white
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- Line baking sheet at the bottom of an ungreased 7 inch square pan and preheat the oven to 160C with a tray of boiling water on the most bottom rack.
- Whisk egg yolks,and vegetable oil until frothy and add orange juice, mix well. Sift in flour and orange zest, mix well set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white, cream of tartar and castor sugar till peak form (not stiff).
- Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a rubber spatula. Then pour in balance of meringue. Fold gently to mix well.
- Pour batter into pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
- Steam bake for 40 minutes at 160°C and bake for another 20 minutes at lower temperature 140°C.
- Remove cake immediately after baked and invert cake on wire rack to cool.
Recipes adapted from Anncoo Journal