Preparation of the Bamboo Leaves and strings for the Bak Chang.
Ingredients for the Bak Chang
Frying of the Glutinous Rice
he process of wrapping the rice dumpling.
Bak Chang (肉粽 Meat Dumpling)
- 2 packet of Chang Leafs ( boil in hot water and clean)
- 2 bundle of dumpling strings or plastic raffia
- 1 1/2 kg Pork ( cut bite size)
- 2 kg Glutinous Rice ( washed till clear)
- 100 gm Dried Shrimp
- 1/2 kg of Chestnut (soak overnight in enough water, remove peel with toothpick, rinse and drain)
- 1/2 kg Mushroom (soak and chopped finely)
- 300 gm Shallots - Chopped finely
- 300 gm Garlic -Chopped finely
- Winter Melon - depend how sweet you want
- Chinese Five Spice powder
- Coriander Powder
- Sesame Oil
- Light Soya Sauce
- Dark soya sauce
1. Heat oil and saute shallots and garlic until fragrant.
2. Fry dried prawns till lightly golden
3. Add pork, chestnuts, mushroom and fry till golden brown.
4. Add the seasoning and winter melon and fry till pork is cooked.
- Fried garlic and shallots till fragrant.
- Add rice, continue to fry for 5-7 mins
- Add dark and light soya sauce, pepper
- Continue to fry till rice is dry& fragrant
1. Take two bamboo leaves, make them overlap slightly and fold into a conical shape.
2. Put 1 tbsp rice into the funnel base. Add 1 tbsp filling and over with some more rice.
3. Fold leaves over rice to form a triangular prism.
4. Tie with raffia string or plastic string.
5. Boil a large pot of water.
6. Drop the bundles of dumplings and boil for about 2 hrs.
7. When cooked, remove the dumplings and hang to dry.
Happy Dumpling Festival to all. ENJOY....