Fish Head Curry & Saffron Rice
Ingredients for the Fish Head Curry
Fish Head CurryIngredients
1 Fish Head ( Ang Ko Li)
2 Large Onios, Peeled and cut into strips
4 Tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1 to 2 Green or Red Chillies, Sliced
1 to 2 Sprigs of Curry Leaves
3 Cloves of Garlic } pound togegether
1/2 inch of ginger }
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
6 to 7 okras, whole or halved
5 to 6 pcs Tau Pok
5 to 6 pcs Lady's Fingers
a bunch of long beans
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1/4 to 1/2 cup tamarind juice
6 to 7 heaped tsp Indian Fish Curry powder
1 tsp corinder powder
red chilli powder to taste
salt to taste
For the Garnish
some mint & coriander leave chopped
spring onion leaves, chopped
1. Wash the fish head and marinate with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp turmeric powder and a tbsp of cooking vinegar.
2. Mix the dry spices together with hald the tamarind juice, 1 tbsp oil and some water to form a smooth
3. In a pan, heat abt 4 tbsp oil and suate the sliced onions. Add the fennel, cumin and fenugreek seeds and
fry until fragrant. Add the curry leaves, chillies and dry spices.
4. Fry well for a few mins until the mixture starts to release oil.
5 Add the tomatoes (keep some for later use), tamarind juice, coconut milk and sugar to taste.
6. Add abt 2 cups of water and bring mixture to the boil at a low-medium heat. Stir well and add the fishhead. Bring to the boil again and simmer until the fish is half cooked.
7. Add the vegetables and the remaining tomatoes, Cook until the fish and vegetables are tender.
8. Garnish curry with mint, coriander and spring onions.
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. saffron threads
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
1. Place the water in a pot and set over high heat. Add the saffron threads, salt, lemon juice and
cumin to a boil.
2. Saute the garlic with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the white rice and stir fried.
3. Add the rice and coconut milk and stir continuously ( to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom)
4. When the liquid is gently bubblin, reduce heat to low and stop stirring.
5. Cover pot tightly with a lid and cook for abt 15 mins our until liquid has been absorbed.
6. Turn off heat, but leave the pot on the burner to steam for another 5 to 10mins.
7. Before serving, fluff rice with a fork.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Fish Curry.