Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pandan Chiffon Cake

Pandan leaves have a unique taste and aroma and widely used in Thai desserts. I have even placed in my car to get rid of insects. You can also make juice by boiling the leaves and letting them steep.

Here I am baking my favourite Pandan Chiffon Cake as per requested by my family using my favourite recipe of all time.






Pandan Chiffon Cake

Recipe Source kitchentigress

Ingredients

100g Pandan Leaves - use only soft and moist young leaves
                                 - buy 250g and use only 100g of the innermost, light greenleaves
70g freshly squeezed coconut milk, undilute

* Don't use old, dark green pandan leaves. Not only do these not have any juice, they actually absorb liquid because they're very dry. If you blend old and young leaves together, the juice of the young ones would be absorbed by the old leaves.

1/2 tsp cream of tartar
50g sugar

60g egg yolks
50g sugar
60g vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
100g cake flour, sifted with baking powder
1 tsp baking powder

Methods

- Preheat oven to 180 degress

- Wash and rought chop pandan leaves. Blend with coconut milk and 1 tbsp water. Strain, pressing leaves hard. Discard pulp. Set aside green liquid, which should weigh 95g.

- Whisk egg whites with sugar and cream of tartar will just reaching stiff peaks. Set aside.

- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar till pale, thick and creamy (ribbon stage). Add green coconut milk, then vegetable oil, whisking till evenly mixed. Gradually add flour mixture, along with salt, again whisking till just evenly mixed. Add egg whites in 3 batches, whisking gently by hand in electric whisk's direction. Scrape down with spatula before mixing last batch of egg whites

- Bang mixing bowl against worktop 2-3 times to remove air bubbles. Pour batter into 21cm chiffon tin slowly so that air bubbles still trapped in the batter are released. Run a chopstick round side of tin to remove more air bubbles. Level and smooth top.

- Bake for 40 mins or till top is brown.

- Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cooled.




I'm submitting this to Little Thumbs Up September - Pandan hosted by Joceline @ Butter, Flour & Me, organized by Zoe@ Bake For Happy Kids and Mui Mui @ My Little Favourites DIY.


12 comments:

Little blue said...

Pandan chiffon is my favourite too~

Cecilia Yap said...

Yes and the aroma is very nice too.

Zoe said...

Hi Cecilia,

Pandan chiffon cake is very special to me for some reasons... Yours look soft and fluffy. Yum!

Zoe

joceline lyn said...

So nice ~ Thanks for sharing & link.

:) :)

Tze @ Awayofmind said...

yummy Pandan Chiffon!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

So long did not bake a pandan chiffon, Thanks for remind me, hehehe..

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

I don't think I can ever get sick of eating pandan chiffon cake, haha!

Phong Hong said...

Cecilia, this is an all time favorite with my family. I really ought to extract the pandan juice instead of using ready made flavoring.

Cecilia Yap said...

My all time favourite.

Cecilia Yap said...

You can start baking this soon.

Cecilia Yap said...

Me too and I liked the fragrance very much.

Cecilia Yap said...

Yes it makes a lot of difference using freshly squeezed panda juice.