- 3 medium onions, peeled, and chopped roughly
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled 2 lemongrass stalks, white part only, chopped roughly
5 Birds Eyes chillis
1 tablespoon belcehan (fermented shrimp paste)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
500 grams raw, peeled prawns
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
roasted sesame seeds
1. Process onions, garlic and chilli until fine.
2. Heat up a wok and add the oil.
3. Fry the process mixture and belechan over a medium heat, stirring all the time until fragrant.
4. Add turmeric and fry for another min and add the prawns and water.
5. Stir to combine, coating the prawns with the mixture.
6. Add tamarind, sugar, salt and soy and continue stirring, until prawns are pink and cooked through.
7. Sprinke with roasted sesame seeds.