I saw a few bloggers baking this and have bookmarked this quite sometimes back. Today after work, I find some time to try out this bake. Having been away for a week and kind of miss my baking. This cake was fairly easy to make but somehow I still find my bake is not that very perfect. Texture wise is soft and fluffy.
Recipe Source: Eileen / Helena
57g low protein flour (sifted)
1 tsp vanilla essence
75g egg yolk
150g egg whites
1. Line the base of a 7” removable cake tin
2. Combine butter and milk in a saucepan, double boil tip 65C. Remove from heat.
3. Add in sifted flour and mix well.
4. Add in rum and vanilla essence.
5. Add in yolks and whole egg. Mixed into a smooth batter. Set aside.
6. Beat egg whites until foamy, gradually add in sugar (in three batches) and continue beat until soft peak.
7. Gently fold in 1/3 of meringue with egg yolk batter.
8. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Steam bake at pre-heated oven at 150C for 30mins at low rack, then 140C for another 30mins then 120C for 5 minutes.
10. Once baked, cool the cake in the oven for another 10 mins before taking out from oven.
11. Remove the cake from the pan immediately and leave to cool on a wire rack.