I have wanted to make this Steamed Layer Cake but always put on hold. Since I am on medical leaves this week and the theme for today is Kuehs, therefore I try making it. It was easier than I thought and I am very happy with the kueh.
Kuih Lapis (Steamed Layer Cake
350g Tapioca Flour
100g Rice Flour
400g Sugar (used 280g)
4 Pandan leaves
500ml Thick coconut milk with a pinch of salt
Blue Peas / Blue colouring
- In a pot boil water,sugar and pandan leaves together till sugar dissolved. Turn off heat, discard pandan leaves and add in coconut milk. Stir well and leave aside to cool.
- Mix tapioca flour and rice flour together and gradually blend well into coconut liquid with a hand whisk. Then strain mixture through a sieve to ensure it is free from lumps.
- Divide mixture in two equal portions and add desire colouring into one portion, keeping one portion white. (You can use more colours if you prefer to have more colourful layers)
- Grease a 7 inch square or round cake pan and place in steaming pot for few minutes over high heat.
- Pour about 100-125ml of white liquid into the heated pan and steam at high heat for about 4 minutes or until batter is cooked. Then add 100-125ml of blue liquid onto it and steam for another 4 minutes. (reduce liquid for thinner layers)
- Repeat the procedure, alternating white and blue liquid until all the batter is used up. Remember to stir the batter every time before pouring out the liquid to steam each time.
- Add a little more blue colour to the last layer to make it a deeper shade of blue,and steam the whole cake for about 15 mins.
- Leave Kuih Lapis to cool completely after steamed and invert the cake pan to knock out the kuih.
- Grease knife with little oil before cutting. You may also brush a little oil on the surface as gloss finishing.