Ondeh-ondeh is a common Asian snack. This is one of my favourite Nyonya Kuih. I have a block of gula melaka which I bought from Malacca for quite sometimes ago and this come of good use.
Recipe Source: Jessie
150g Mashed Sweet potato
150g Glutinuous Rice Flour
95g Icey Cold Water
125 Caster Sugar
100g Palm Sugar ( Gula Melaka)
100g Shredded Coconut
1/4 tsp salt
2 Pandan leaves
1. Chop the gula melaka till fine crumbs.
2. Mix coconut with salt and steam with pandan leaf till soft.
3. To make the dough, mix flour with sweet potate until resembles coarse crumbs. Add water starting with 50ml, knead the dough. Add little bit of water at a time and knead until the dough is pliable and not sticky.
4. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a clean, wet tea towel to prevent dryness.
5. Grab a small piece of dough, about 15g and roll into a ball. Either flatten it or make it into a small bowl-shape, place some gula melaka inside.
6. Carefully seal and roll into balls again. Place on a lined tray and cover with a cling wrap.
7. Cook ondeh-ondeh in boiling water until they float up.
8. Very quickly, remove from hot water and place in the cold water.
9. Remove from cold water, then coat with coconut before serve.