These hard Italian biscuits were traditionally made with hazelnut and aniseed but are now flavoured with wide variety of nuts, lime, lemon or orange rinds. For a change, I am using lime rind instead of lemon and I liked the zesty smell of the lime rind. It does add a difference to the biscuits.
Lime, Honey and Pistachio Biscotti
110g Castor Sugar
75g Plain Flour - sifted
35g Self Raising Flour - sifted
2 tsp Finely grated lime rind
70g unsalted roasted pistachio nuts
50g pumpkin seed kernels
35g sunflower seed kernels
1 tbsp Honey
2 tsp extra castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Whisk sugar and egg in a bowl, stir in sifted flours, lime rinds, nuts, seeds and honey.
- Shape dough into a 8 inch log, place on a tray.
- Sprinkle with extra sugar and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Cool on tray.
- Reduce oven temperature to 150 degrees.
- Cut the log diagonally into slices.
- Place slices on ungreased overn tray and bake for about 20 minutes or until dry and crisp,
turning halfway through baking.
- Cool on wire racks and store in an air-tight container.