Since that day when I make the AKK, I still have balance of Purple Sweet Potatoes sitting in the fridge. Purple Sweet Potatoes Chiffon has always been in my "wanted to bake list" and now is the opportuntity to do it.
I am very happy with this bake which turns out soft and fluffy and super love the colour too. Overall I like the subtle sweetness and the contrast of the cubes of the cakes. The taste, texture and colour is just so adorable. This recipe is a keeper for sure.
The original recipe yields a 17cm chiffon cake tin but I have double the recipes as I wanted to clear all the leftover sweet potatoes and have make 8 mini size chiffon instead.
Recipe Source: Do What I Like
Remarks: I have double the recipe and total I make 4 mini medium & 4 mini small chiffon.
Ingredients: (17cm chiffon tube pan)100g purple sweet potato (steam and mashed)
3 tbsp milk
3 egg yolks
20g brown sugar
pinch of salt
50ml corn oil
3 tbsp water
85g cake flour
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Diced steamed sweet potato cubes (optional)
1. Steam sweet potato, add milk to it and mashed till fine or blend it in a blender.
2. Mix all ingredients in (A) till well blended. Add in (1) and mix well. Sieve in (B) and mixed till smooth and lump-free. If batter is on the dry side, add a tablespoonful of water - some purple sweet potatoes can be quite dry.
3. Beat egg whites in (C) till stiff.
4. Add half portion of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mix well with a spatula.
5. Pour egg yolk mixture into the remaining white and mix till well-combined. Stir in (D) - sweet potato cubes.
6. Pour batter into chiffon pan. Bang the cake pan a couple of times to release air bubbles in the batter.
7. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or till cooked.