Recipe Source: anncoojournal
1/2 cup (113g) Butter
2 cups (480ml) Milk
4 Eggs, separated (70g each)
1 tbsp caster Sugar)
150g Confectioner's sugar/Icing sugar - sifted (I used 140g)
1 tbsp Water
1 cup (115g) Plain flour
zest from one orange ( I used lime zest)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
snow powder for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325F/160C. Line a 8 x 8 inch square cake pan all sides up.
- Melt the butter and set aside to slightly cool. Warm the milk to lukewarm and set aside. Combine sifted flour and orange together, set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites to foamy and add 1 tablespoon of sugar into it, continue to whisk to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl (I used Kenwood mixer), whisk the egg yolks and icing sugar until light. Mix in the melted butter and the tablespoon of water for about 2 minutes or until evenly incorporated.
- Mix in the flour until evenly incorporated. Slowly beat in the (not so warm) milk and vanilla extract until everything is well mixed.
- Fold in the egg whites, 1/3 at a time with a rubber spatula. Repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in.
- Pour the batter (stir as you pour) into the prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the top is golden. Allow cake to completely cool before cutting and then dust with confectioner sugar or snow powder.
- Best to chill the cake for few hours before cutting.