Sunday, June 1, 2014

Magic Custard Cake

I have wanted to bake this Magic Custard Cake but was afraid that it did not turn out good. So today I put on my courage and try baking this. I did not achieve the 3 layers that most bakers have done but I am contented with the 2 layers as the texture was quite good and I liked the taste too. When chilled it taste even better. As I don't have any orange at home, so I used lime zest instead. The aroma was fragrant. Right choice make.


Recipe Source: anncoojournal

Ingredients:
      1/2 cup (113g) Butter
      2 cups (480ml) Milk
      4 Eggs, separated (70g each)
      1 tbsp caster Sugar)
      150g Confectioner's sugar/Icing sugar - sifted (I used 140g)
      1 tbsp Water
      1 cup (115g) Plain flour
      zest from one orange ( I used lime zest)
      1 tsp Vanilla extract
      snow powder for dusting 

      Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 325F/160C. Line a 8 x 8 inch square cake pan all sides up.
  • Melt the butter and set aside to slightly cool. Warm the milk to lukewarm and set aside. Combine sifted flour and orange together, set aside.
  • Whisk the egg whites to foamy and add 1 tablespoon of sugar into it, continue to whisk to stiff peaks. Set aside.
  • In another mixing bowl (I used Kenwood mixer), whisk the egg yolks and icing sugar until light. Mix in the melted butter and the tablespoon of water for about 2 minutes or until evenly incorporated.
  • Mix in the flour until evenly incorporated. Slowly beat in the (not so warm) milk and vanilla extract until everything is well mixed.
  • Fold in the egg whites, 1/3 at a time with a rubber spatula. Repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in.
  • Pour the batter (stir as you pour) into the prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes  or until the top is golden. Allow cake to completely cool before cutting and then dust with confectioner sugar or snow powder.
  • Best to chill the cake for few hours before cutting.

No comments: